Heathrow Airport Climate Protest Commences

Air travel caused climate changeA climate change protest camp [more] has been set up outside Heathrow airport in the UK, and thousands of protesters are expected at the “Camp for Climate Action” which will highlight the link between aviation and global warming [search]. Current and projected growth in air travel is clearly not environmentally sustainable. Aviation is the fastest growing source of greenhouse gas emissions in the UK. This sort of civil disobedience is precisely what is needed now at an immense scale against airports, SUVs, coal power, the oil industry, flacid governments and numerous other Earth destroyers if climate disaster is to be averted. Maybe the private jet carrying Leonardo DiCaprio will be blocked as he swoops in to lecture others at this 11th hour on global ecology. The sacrifice is you.

1. zephyr says:

I sincerely hope that this (Heathrow) protest action isn't going to be co-opted by hyper-radical infiltrators bent on making trouble as it is very important that the issue of commercial aviation's growing contribution to the destruction of our atmosphere is made more visible to the general public.
    Open public discussion of the, by the way, MORE-than-adequate evidence of the damage being done, particularly at flight altitude, is among the most monitored and disrupted on the Internet.
    It's not difficult to imagine why that would be so.
    I just wish the atmospheric research community would extend the reach of the hard work it is doing and become more forthright with the public in regard to its findings.

2. So Cast aside
    Short – term political rides :
    Green flagship
    Policies that flip and slip
    And must abandon ship
    In the ruthless currencies
    Of the economic seas
    Of industries to please
    Of fat cats to appease
    CO2 omission targets
    That are never met
    Air travel expansion
    Instead of sanctions
    Trees uprooted to make way
    For new branches of motorway
    From Jane Air's Global Warming Ebook
    Full version at
    The Titanic Tide chapter 22
    Good Luck to the climate camp !

3. milgram says:

Zephyr that's extremely naive. The only reason this issue is in the news this week is because of the hyper-radical, well-organised and lovely people who've taken part in organising this and last year's Camp.
    To rely solely on talk didn't get CC on the agenda. Direct action against those with the most responsibility for the damage is a must.
    The science is clear and known, the time for action is now.

4. zephyr says:

[b]milgram[/b] wrote:
    “The only reason this issue is in the news this week is because of the hyper-radical, well-organised and lovely people who've taken part in organising this and last year's Camp.
    The science is clear and known, the time for action is now…..”
    I could not be more in agreement with your comments.
    I guess I just have some very demoralizing memories of the anti-Vietnam War and anti-nuclear protests of the 70's wherein specific, ideologically-motivated contingents committed to defending the status quo repeatedly made it their business to all-but-destroy the HARD WORK of the very “well-organized and lovely people” to which you refer.
    I do not want to see these types of **infiltrators** ruining the Climate Camp action at Heathrow, thereby alienating the public at a time when that is the LAST thing that is needed.

5. Yes it is 'hyper-radical, well-organised and lovely people' who create change but I have a big BUT to add to that. At 70's and 80's various protest camps and marches etc I saw the UK political, commercial and media status quo, use every example of any even slightly aggressive direct action, as an excuse to swing public opinion against the issues being campaigned for; to bring in awful legislation to limit future protests, and to paint we campaigners for better respect for Earth as nutters. In this way 'they' have managed to avoid many of 'we the peoples' requests for change for decades. Therefore I humbly suggest that Ghandi's approach of absolute pacifism will win the day and the argument better than allowing ourselves to get physically wound up at ANY protest we street people attend to bring important and urgent issues to public and political debate. This way 'they' cannot ban direct action. We dont have to be agressive to occupy a physical space, though we might have to run hard to get to that space in the first place. But if you get caught running you'd better relax on the floor rather than struggle because if you do struggle they will make that the days news and not the campaign issue.

6. gtw says:

Dr. Berry,
    Thank you so much for this site. I have been a dedicated reader for a few years now. The Heathrow protest is exactly what needs to be happening at airports around the globe. However, I do take issue with your repeated jabs (in this and recent articles) at Leonardo DiCaprio. Yes, it is hypocritical for him to preach about global warming and reducing emissions and then use a private jet. But shouldn't we be focusing on the good he is doing? How many other young Hollywood celebs are as politically and environmentally active as him? How many have produced and narrated a film about climate change? (11th Hour) If you could somehow calculate his influence on the lives and habits of people he has changed through his activism, I'm sure that it would more than offset his occasional private jet flight. I am not condoning profligate behavior by the rich and famous, but to attack DiCaprio, who is obviously very passionate and sincere about the climate crisis, and through his celebrity has the power to influence many people, to me does not seem helpful.

7. Thomas says:

“Maybe the private jet carrying Leonardo DiCaprio will be blocked as he swoops in to lecture others at this 11th hour on global ecology.”
    Chaining yourselves to bridges or blocking commerce is use of force.
    Perhaps this is the start of a new fascist movement – eco-imperialism.

8. Ashley Cooper says:

Hi
    I've just spent an interesting couple of days photographing Heathrow and the Climate Camp.
    On Tuesday I was stopped and searched by the police whilst photographing planes coming in to land at Heathrow.
    Wednesday morning I came out of my B@B some 5 miles from the camp to see a large 4 wheel drive police car parked across the road with 4 police officers in. I thought nothing of it till I set off in my car. The police then spent the next 4 hours tailing me. My first stop was back at Heathrow to get shots of planes taking off. At this point the 4 goons following me decided it was time to body search me, this despite the fact that I had told their colleagues yesterday that I was taking pictures for Global Warming Images and as the Chairman of the busiest mountain rescue team in the country I spend 100's of hours a year working for and on behalf of the police. I was given no reason for the body search and was told they couldn't give me any paper work related to the body search. I carried on back towards the climate camp and was followed every step of the way by the Metropolitan police in their large gas guzzling Landcruiser. What a total waste of time and tax payers money, surely there are some criminals out there they could be catching.
    Despite the police's best efforts I now have some good coverage of the climate camp, and also the police harrasment of the protestors. Check it out on the Protest category of the site. Also new aircraft pictures on the climate criminals category of the site.
    All pics now available on http://www.globalwarmingimages.net
    Its a funny old world.
    Best Wishes
    Ashley Cooper
    Global Warming Images.

9. wendy says:

Good luck to the protesters I cannot be with you but wish I could.

10. Hannibal says:

I was interested to see these two contrasting comments on the Climate Camp protestors, one from professional eco-warrior George Monbiot and one from old Marxist Mick Hume:

11. YA MUM says:

um yer YA MUM! are i think that global warming is good! who cares, we are all going to die anyway