Brazil Proposes Rainforest Conservation Fund

Brazil has joined the calls for a fund to compensate developing countries that slow the destruction of their rainforests. Paying countries to reduce deforestation and forest diminishment would yield tremendous benefits in terms of biodiversity and ecosystem services including reducing carbon dioxide releases blamed for global warming. Deforestation accounts for at least 20% of humanity's greenhouse gas releases [search]. Global environmental agreements allow credit for planting trees but “offer no incentives for preventing cutting in areas like Brazil's Amazon, home to nearly a third of all species and a quarter of the earth's fresh water.” Papua New Guinea and Costa Rica have made similar proposals in the past, but these have languished. Brazil in coming around to an idea they have previously resisted has moved the ball forward. International policy development to address both deforestation and global heating needs a renewed sense of urgency and linkage between the issues.

1. jeremy says:

what would happen if we did cut down the forests and stuff, i mean like what would change about our lives?

2. jeremy says:

3. Magii says:

What do you belive the environmental impact of complete conservation would be? As in if no one ever cut any forest for lumber, and no one was allowed to build in the area. What would happen if we did nothing to affect the growth of any forest?

4. Hans Bavinck says:

At last! I was wondering when the first important government would realize that the present carbon-credit system actually stimulates the destruction of ancient forests, since only the planting of new trees is rewarded.
    The Brazil initiative must be applauded and strongly supported.

5. Apryl Allamong says:

I believe that we should not have to pay countries money to cut down on deforestization. However, I do agree that more incentives need to be offerered globally for cutting down on this serious problem. The only question is, what incentives should be offered? There is no question, though, that we need to do more to address this problem that threatens our environmental future.

6. Martin Verma says:

I remember when I was a kid (about 7) I began to learn about the rainforest. I liked learning about the biodiversity and natural beauty of the rainforest. This was a very long time ago and I couldn't even imagine that anyone would cut down the rainforest. When I was a teenager (early 70s) I did a lot of research about degredation of the rainforest (it was much harder back then). The Amazon, overall was about 100% original. The only rainforest that was already cut down greatly was the Atlantic Rainforest. I never thought that deforestation rates, such as the ones occuring now would ever happen. I guess I was wrong.